Thursday, February 18, 2016

The Cost of Motocross


There is only one way to put it, the cost of motocross is unreal. It is not rare to see a family go in debt thousands of dollars and loose everything they own because of motocross. Dirt bikes can cost nearly 10 thousand dollars and that is just getting started. There are many costs associated with motocross including fuel getting to the track, hotels to say at, riding fee's and much more.

To be competitive in the sport of motocross you have to have more than one bike. You need at least one practice bike and a race bike. The practice bike is often warn out and barley running while the race bike is kept for big races. Many family's also purchase motor homes to get to the track and stay at. I would say the average motor home at the track is around 50 thousand dollars. With one motor home and two dirt bikes you are nearly at 70 thousand dollars.

After you have dirt bikes and a motor home comes all the other fee's. You have to pay 30 dollars every day to ride. You can spend up to 100 dollars a day in race fuel. You also have to pay a small fee to get in and etc. You also have to maintain your dirt bikes which is very costly. Spending thousands a month to replace the clutches, pistons and parts that you ruin when you crash. It is not a cheap sport to say the least!

From: www.pinterest.com 

9 comments:

  1. When I was younger I had a Yamaha Banshee and loved to go to Silver Lake. I never thought of racing but I do know how much everything costs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can be crazy expensive! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I've always wanted to get an RV down the road when I was ready to hit the roads. 50k is a lot, its going to make me think twice lol. Be honest I like watching motocross racing just not driving them.. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is very cool to watch. The rv's are not cheap either! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  3. While I cannot relate to motocross I can relate to a sport that you love being way too expensive. Growing up I played baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. My parents paid an absolute fortune so I could travel around the country playing in my various tournaments. I imagine this is similar to the costs you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been interested in motor sports; it is incredible to think about the enormous costs people/teams pay in order to compete.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I had no idea this sport cost so much. I have cousins that are into motocross and have been since they were about 3 years old... their parents must so committed to the sport for them to start that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cost of the equipment and upkeep is very high. I have a friend and his son competes and they have a couple of bikes and travel across the states. However, he ended up in an accident about 3 weeks ago and has to take about 3 months off. Although I haven't done motocross I do ride horses and happen to understand the financial burden it can be as well as the danger of the sport. However, one thing is for sure it would not be the same without horses in my life and the love I have for the sport.

    ReplyDelete